Sep 25, 2022
General Studies In cases of transfer of a wide variety of coursework from other institutions or other special circumstances, students may elect to seek a B.S. degree with a general studies major. Students can not earn a minor along with a major of general studies nor can a student earn a minor in general studies. Students are not admitted to Brenau as a General Studies major.
- A faculty member will be assigned to develop and coordinate the program of study and advise students in such cases .
- Each individual general studies degree plan shall specify course work to be taken.
- A general studies major must maintain an overall 2.0 GPA to graduate.
- There is a minimum of 24 hours in a concentration of study with at least 12 hours of the concentration in 300 to 400 level courses
- There is a minimum of 36 hours of 300 to 400 level courses which can include those 12 hours required for the concentration
- The general studies program is subject to the same residency and general graduation requirements as all other majors in the catalog.
- The general studies plan must be approved by the advisor and by the registrar’s office. A plan must be on file before a change of major form can be accepted.
Liberal Education Requirements
Brenau University and its faculty are dedicated to the goal of providing students with a thorough background in the liberal arts, as well as academic and professional skills which will help them become enlightened and productive members of society. To that end, the faculty developed a liberal education curriculum based on expectations and learning outcomes.
This liberal education curriculum is divided into four learning portals: World Understanding, Scientific and Analytic Curiosity, Artistic and Creative Imagination and Communication and Language Fluency.
- World Understanding Learning
- Scientific and Analytic Curiosity
- Artistic and Creative Imagination
- Communication and Language Fluency
Courses applied in one portal may not be applied in another portal. However, courses applied in the Liberal Education may be applied toward a student’s major or minor.
Students with an A.A., A.S. or a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution are exempt from Liberal Education requirements for Brenau’s bachelor degree programs (does not include Brenau’s A.A. degree). This exemption does not does not extend to any other associate’s degree (ex. A.A.S., A.A.T). This exemption does not affect transfer credit. All college-level credit that conforms to Brenau’s transfer credit policy will be recorded on the student’s Brenau transcript. This exemption does not affect any major courses required or any major foundation courses required.
World Understanding Learning Portal
Historical Perspective - 3 hours
Demonstrate knowledge of major events and movements in history and use this knowledge to generate a more sophisticated understanding of current events.
Civic Engagement - 3 hours
Demonstate an appreciation of the importance of civic engagement in a global society.
Global Awareness - 3 hours
Demonstrate an understanding of global issues and their implications for local communities.
Scientific & Analytic Curiosity Portal
Mathematics - 3 hours
Demonstrate quantitative reasoning through numeric, symbolic or geometric means.
Course taken will depend upon math placement of the student.
Science - 7-8 hours
Demonstrate competency in a specific curriculum and appraise the impact of that science in ones life.
Students must have at least one four-hour lab science plus a second science of three or four hours.
Reasoning 3-4 hours
Be able to think critically and solve problems effectively.
Artistic & Creative Imagination Portal
Fine Arts - 3 hours
Understand artistic concepts and traditions through the experience of artistic endeavors.
Literature - 3 hours
Read and understand literature in its historical context.
Lifetime Fitness - 3 hours
Appreciate ones health status and implement a plan for health and fitness.
- Women’s College students must have one hour of Lifetime Fitness (LF) or Leisure Sports (LS) or Dance (DA); one hour of Women’s Health (WH); and one hour of any P.E. (LS/LF/DA/or WH).
- Evening/weekend or online students may transfer in the above or take HS 105 (3 hours) while at Brenau
- Nursing and Dance majors have specific Lifetime Fitness requirements. Please see those major sections for information.
Communication & Language Fluency Portal
Writing - 6 hours
Compose effective and logical written communication.
Speaking - 3 hours
Demonstrate effective oral communication.
Modern Language - 0-3 hours
Communicate in a modern language other than English.
- Students must have modern language competency through the high beginner (102 or 115) level. It is possible for a student to place out of part or all of modern language via placement or CLEP. Please see the placement information section for specific guidelines. If the student takes 101, that course may be applied as the communication requirement, if needed, or as a general elective.
- International Students will exempt the Modern Language requirement with a minimum TOEFL score of 550 or its equivalent.
Communication - 3 hours
Apply communication skills in a given context.
Choose from any course in the Communication and Language Fluency portal not already applied in the Liberal Education or choose from the courses below. If a student takes 101 and 102 of the same language to satisfy the modern language requirement, the 101 course may satisfy the communication elective.
There is a minimum of 24 hours in a concentration of study with at least 12 hours of the concentration in 300 to 400 level courses.
Total Required Hours
A minimum of 120 hours is required to graduate with this major. It is possible that the student may graduate with more than 120 hours based on placement and transfer credit.
Note: Courses marked with an * are Liberal Education courses.